Ministry of Sound Group Ltd.
Ministry of Sound
21st September 1991 - a date firmly fixed in music history. Ministry of Sound, inspired by New York's cavernous House venues, opened its doors at 10:00 PM. Raised from what was once a bustling bus garage now derelict in the heart of 'saff' London, an area more infamous than famous. No alcohol, 3 flashing lights, moody security and, as a statement against its glitzy '80s predecessors, shiny trousers and disco shoes frowned upon. Unless you knew the names of at least half-a-dozen Chicago DJ's you were never going to get past the legendary 'pickers' residing the right side of the menacing prison-like gates.
Despite the lack of lager and fearsome location people arrived in droves. Within a matter of weeks word had spread that something special had landed smack in the middle of London's nightlife. This was the first club dedicated to House music, the first club inspired by rave's 'summer of love' and most importantly the world's first ever club with a dedicated room built purely for sound.
To this day, sound is what epitomises Ministry of Sound and all we stand for. As we spread the dance music gospel around the world you can experience the essence of what we do but there's nothing quite like standing in the middle of the club's main room (The Box). Towering speaker stacks, several mega-zillion watts of bass and triple thick sound absorbing walls. Play here as a DJ and this is Madison Square Garden. Dance here and this is the Nou Camp - put simply, there is no better place on Earth to hear and feel the world's greatest DJ's play the world's best music.
Fast-forward to today. The importance of super hi-fi sound has not diminished and neither has the passion for dance music in all its forms. But as pioneers of dance, whether it's the music or culture variety, we're keener than ever to preach our dance music mantra across the planet.
For over two decades, Ministry of Sound have created the moments people live for. In 1991 you had to be here to experience the euphoria - today whether you're listening, watching, wearing, downloading or browsing anything Ministry of Sound, there is still only one rule: the music comes first.
- Lifetime sales of over 50 million
- Over 50 albums released each year
- Over 15 hit singles released each year
- Sales in excess of 3.5 million per annum
- The UK's top selling music and fitness products - workout DVD series Pump It Up and CD compilation/digital album series Running Trax
- International record company operations in Australia/NZ
- Label and distribution partners in all key international territories
- Opened 21st September 1991
- The world's most famous nightclub
- Still London's most successful club after 22 years
- Over 300,000 visitors per year
- International and UK clubbers, VIPs and the world's best DJs
- An established tourist destination for young clubbers visiting London
- ‘The World’s Best Sound System’ IDMA 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013
- Ministry of Sound branded events are attended by over 1,000,000 people around the globe every year
- From club events to arena shows
- From Barcelona to Bogota, Melbourne to Malta - the world's most recognisable dance brand tours the globe with over 1,000 events each year
- 760,000 average monthly visits to www.ministryofsound.com
- Total social networking reach of over 1.5million and growing
- Over 1 billion YouTube views / 60 million views per month
- 750,000 weekly radio listeners across all platforms (online through our apps)
- 1.6million mobile app downloads